Sunday 28 April 2013

From Garden to Grammar - an African Success Story

FROM GARDEN TO GRAMMAR
An African Success Story

There are many tales of talented individuals rising from impoverished roots to become players in sophisticated modern society. But in Africa it’s a celebration. And this is one of them.

Born in the poor, remote African village, Tchoko, in Malawi’s northern region in 1982, Everson Luhanga was named Komani after his uncle.

The family of nine lived off the land and the only means of earning an income was to sell what food they had left after feeding the family.


Everson's mother pounding nuts
Understanding the value of education, as all African parents do, Komani’s parents sent him to the local Kaonekara Primary School.  Despite most of the village children not being able to attend school for various reasons, it was his father’s determined wish that Komani got a good education. And he had a plan in mind.
Everson's father
When he was ready to enter junior school, his father sent him to stay with his married sister in town. On arriving in town he changed his name to Everson because Komani wasn’t easily pronounced in the area’s dialect.


Everson ploughing the fields
Everson was a clever pupil and excelled in all subjects except maths. But he particularly liked reading and writing. Spending hours listening to the radio and reading newspapers eventually convinced him that he wanted to become a journalist. It was the only job that would satisfy him.

After matriculating, Everson enrolled at the Malawi Institute of Journalism (MIJ) to study a journalism diploma. But he was kicked out just three weeks into the first year because of an outstanding fees balance which his parents couldn’t afford to pay.

‘My father, who used to sell his livestock to pay for my secondary schooling, could no longer afford to pay for my tertiary education. The fees were too expensive to be paid by selling a cow.’

Everson was left with no options, and in 2004, six months after being dismissed from the college, he made arguably the biggest decision of his life – to emigrate to South Africa in pursuit of his dream.

The only work Everson could find in the new country was gardening. But Alison Ramsden, his employer in Parkmore, Sandton, was to become a turning point in his career.

‘As a Christian, I know now that God introduced me to a family who treated me like a son.’


Alison and Everson chat about his future
Although fully occupied with his gardening work, Everson communicated with Alison when he drew up shopping lists and sent birthday and Christmas greeting cards. And during his meal break he could be found either writing or reading a book. 

Over the years, Alison noted with mounting interest the exquisite greeting cards and his preoccupation with writing and reading. She supported this dedication by buying him books, pens and numerous notebooks. Eventually she also learnt, to her surprise and delight, of his passion to become a journalist.

To achieve his journalistic aspirations, Alison knew Everson needed further education. She made enquiries and found several short courses at the South African Writers’ College which would suit him. He was elated when she offered to sponsor him and took up the challenge with zest and characteristic determination.

Everson completed the courses and pocketed two distinctions and a merit award. But there was a surprise. Owing to his outstanding performance, the college granted him a bursary to study its Hard News Journalism course.

Everson’s tutor at SAWC was journalist and former editor, Beth Howell, who, according to him, had a marked influence on his career:

‘It turned out that Beth was more than just my tutor. I noticed during the course that she went beyond her brief to mentor and encourage me. She was more like a parent who wanted her child to succeed.


Journalist and teacher Beth Howell
‘Before I completed the course with Beth, I was writing commentary and letters to various publications, including The Star, The Times, YOU Magazine, and the Daily Sun. Seeing my name in print raised my energy levels and I began looking for markets to sell my stories.

‘A local community newspaper published my first article and soon after that I became one of 20 people invited by the Daily Sun on a one-year training course. I was nervous because many of those attending came from recognised media schools. But here again, Beth was behind me. I asked her advice and she unhesitatingly told me to accept the challenge.

‘It was a great challenge but I managed to rise to the occasion. Of the 20 attendees only five survived and I was one of them. I was awarded a certificate of accomplishment in the Media Law Course at the end of 2011.’

Everson in the Daily Sun newsroom
While Beth’s invaluable mentoring and inspiration saw him safely on the path of journalism towards a successful future, he fondly remembers the key and compassionate role played by the other woman who made a positive difference in his life:

‘Besides paying my college fees, Alison was also a great mentor. She helped me to develop a business mind and emphasised that the power of any business lies in networking. She was my first beacon of hope and the turning point of my life in South Africa.’


Alison and Everson - graduation day!
Everson has gone from strength to strength and is now a proud journalist at the Daily Sun. And he’s living the dream:

‘This is my whole life. I don’t want to do anything but read and write.’

Everson still lives with the Ramsdens in Sandton and has become a member of the family. But he’s not getting much gardening done.


In the garden

A man of letters

Victoria and Alison 



1 comment: